1) What is Your Name?
2) How old are you?
3) Tell us a little about your family?
I am married to Trista,
and its just me and her right now.
4) What is the Name of Your Church?
Countryside Christian Church
5) Does your Youth Ministry have a name? If so, what is it?
Our Junior High Ministry is called Cross-Training, and our Sr. High is called Common Ground
6) What is your role in the ministry?
7) How long have you been at your present church?
About 2 years
8) How long have you been in Youth Ministry all together?
In one form or another for about 11 years
9) What is your greatest passion in Youth Ministry?
To get kids to give up on the notion that they are an accident of evolution. That they are a special creation of God, and he has a purpose and a vision for them as individuals.
10) What would you say is your "life verse"?
Phillipians chapter 2.
11) What is your passion in life?
The evolution/creation (intelligent design) debate.
12) Share one ministry highlight for you?
I write the curriculum every year for a couple of teen conventions; Junior High Challenge and Summer in the Son at Kentucky Christian college. I also teach a Creation/evolution class there every year.
13) Share one ministry lowlight for you?
A Church split right out from under me without telling me they were having these issues in the first place. Their problem was that I was to into evangelizing kids who were outside of the present family structure of the Church. They did not understand that this was happening because their kids were excited and were leading their friends to God.
14) What have you done in your ministry that has had the greatest impact on students?
Not to sound weird, but I really think my kids get it and get inspired when I teach.
15) What is something in ministry that you would warn others to NEVER do?
Do it alone.
16) In a sentence or two, what is your definition of a "successful youth ministry"?
Team approach, with a definitive vision and a measuring guide.
17) In your opinion what are some of the biggest needs of teens today?
Adults who really care enough to stand in the gap between them and the degraded culture that we live in - (check out worldnetdaily.com for some inspirational reading regarding the issues of today.)
18) What advice would you give the teens of today?
Get over yourselves and your fellowship of the dress-code.
19) If you could tell parents ONE thing, what would it be?
20) What book(s) are you presently reading?
1) "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge
2) "Pagans in the Pews" by Peter Jones
3) "Purpose Driven Youth Ministry" (again) by Doug Fields
4) "Intelligent Design" by William Dembski
21) What would be the top 3 books you would recommend?
1) "Why Should Anyone Believe Anything At All" by James Sire
2) "Darwin's Black Box" by Michael Behe
3) "Slouching Towards Gomorrah" by Robert Bork
22) What two movies would you most recommend to other youth workers?
1) Bruce Almighty
2) Monty Pythons Holy Grail
23) Who is your favorite musician/music group?
24) Who has been the biggest influence on you in youth ministry?
25) What direction would you like to see your ministry move toward?
One that is both postmodern in its sensitivity but resistant to its depraved ideology.
26) What is the most significant thing God has taught you since being in Youth Ministry?
Its not about me.
27) Youth ministry involves a lot of doing and giving to others. What do you do in order to get fed and encouraged?
Read and work out while praying. Decompress with good music alone.
28) If you could have done three things differently when you were a teenager yourself, what would they have been?
I wouldn't have turned down my football scholarship, I wouldn't have let my health get out of control, I wouldn't have lied so much.
29) What would you say are three to five MUST-HAVE resources for every youth worker?
1) Good library
2) Great sponsors and leaders
3) A gym membership
30) Have you contributed anything to the YM Exchange on Pastor2youth.com?
Editors Note: You can access Gary's contributions to the YM Exchange directly here:
1. Who Am I?
2. Where Do We Go From Here?
3. Is God In Evolution?
4. The God of Losers
31) How could we pray for you and your ministry?
More along the lines of praying for our Country would be appropriate. I really fee there is a spirit in the Church of apostacy and complacency. Its depressing.
32) Would you be willing to share a picture of you and/or your group with us?
Click Here to view the full-sized picture.